Israel completes settler-outpost evacuation
Israel has completed evacuation of a large unauthorised West Bank settlement outpost, culminating years of
The case had become a rallying cry for hardline settler groups opposed to any withdrawal from occupied land claimed by the Palestinians.
By midday Sunday, all of Migron’s roughly 300 residents had left, authorities said, two days before a court-ordered deadline to clear out.
Most of Migron’s residents left voluntarily and peacefully, but officers dragged out a few youths who had holed themselves up in an evacuated trailer home.
At another white prefab home, where a toy tractor and a bicycle with training wheels were left discarded outside, several youths climbed to the roof waving a large Israeli flag and refused to come down.
In a text message from the prime minister’s office, Binyamin Netanyahu, declared his support for settlement - an issue dear to his base - despite having carried out, eventually, the court-ordered evacuation.
“We are committed to respecting the rule of law and we are committed to strengthening the settlement enterprise,” he said.
Earlier on Sunday, graffiti and signs on their homes sounded defiant tones. “Migron, we shall return” and “We will never forget Zionism”, slogans read.
Pictured: An Israeli child holds a placard calling for Netanyahu to postpone the evacuation of Migron [AFP]